Zero – Abstract GD Topic
Zero as a concept has been around since ancient times, popping up in Babylonian and Mayan inscriptions, when it was used it to calculate the passage of the seasons. In today’s world, zero plays a big role unknowingly. Some of the uses are listed below.
- Numerical Significance: Zero is both a number and a numerical digit. Though it holds no value of its own but it is the sole reason for the existence of whole number system. Zero is also used as a placeholder in place value systems.
- Binary Significance: Zero is one of the two digits used in binary coding. Binary coding is extensively used in the digital world largely in computer applications, digital communications and anything which involves digital circuits.
- A new beginning: Zero represents the low points or failures in life. It represents situations where we feel low and of no importance but it also holds a positive significance as the low in life points are the triggers to overcome pessimism and work dedicatedly to achieve great heights. Additionally, anyone who comes to a situation with zero understanding or in other words, an open mind, can understand the new situation afresh, enabling creativity.
- Zero-hour: Zero hour means:
- Midnight, or 00:00
- Zero Hour in military means the scheduled time for the start of some event, especially a military operation.
- In India, Zero Hour is the time of a sitting session of India’s Lok Sabha immediately after the Question Hour.
- Zero-tolerance: A zero tolerance policy is one which imposes stringent punishment for infringement of a stated rule, with the objective of eliminating undesirable conduct or behavior.
- Zero period: Many schools have zero period classes that are conducted before the start of the regular school day. Zero period typically begins around an hour before first period. They are usually conducted to facilitate optional courses or as a backup for the missed class.
- Zero gravity: Zero Gravity is defined as the state or condition of weightlessness. It also refers to the state in which the net or an apparent effect of gravity (i.e. the gravitational force) is zero.
- Zeroth Law of thermodynamics: The zeroth law of thermodynamics states that if two thermodynamic systems are each in thermal equilibrium with a third, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other.Also Read:- How To Prepare For Group Discussion Tips
“The game isn’t over till the clock says Zero” – Paul Pierce
”God is the tangential point between zero and infinity” – Alfred Jarry
Some facts about Zero, you can use in the GD:
- Zero is sometimes called naught, nought, aught or nil or nothing.
- Zero must have been around since the 7th century or before, but it was first recorded in 1604.
- Actor Zero Mostel’s real name was Samuel Joel Mostel and he got his nickname from his parents constantly telling him that he would never amount to anything in life.
- Anders Celsius’ initial introduction of scale of temperatures placed zero as the boiling point of water and 100 as its freezing point.
- French astronaut Patrick Baudry was the first to state that in zero gravity one can put their trousers on two legs at a time.
- Different sports have different terms for zero like nil in soccer, love in tennis and a duck in cricket.
- Zip, zilch, nada, scratch, duck egg and goose egg are slangs used for zero.
For size zero models:
1. Diversity: Size zero is also a category. We have to accept them as well. What’s the point of condemning someone who likes staying thin?
2. Staying fit: Staying fit and improving women health is important since women are the first to stop caring about size once they get into raising kids and family making.
3. Body shaming: If fat shaming is wrong, so is skinny shaming. You cannot call for a ban on skinny women of the size zero when you are asking for more tolerance.
4. Looking good is feeling good: Size zero looks good and we have to accept that losing weight in a healthy way make you feel good.
5. Choice: It is an individual’s choice whether they want to stay curvy or skinny and it would be unfair to ban either of them.
6. Encouraging: Young girls wanting to stay toned does not have to be a bad thing, especially with a lot of women out there promoting healthy practices of losing weight.
Against size zero models:
1. Anorexia: People with fear of gaining weight start living an unhealthy lifestyle and starve themselves in order to attain the zero figures.
2. Stereotype: The fashion industry has for long been plagued with the stereotype of selecting only super-thin women to catwalk through the shows.
3. Fat shaming: Idealising zero size models and actresses has led to fat shaming of anyone who is slightly on the curvy side. Bullying, trolling and harassing have become a common practice.
4. Beauty comes in all size: It is the most ultimate myth that has been embedded into the mind of young girls and boys that beauty is staying zero sized.
5. Obsessing about weight: The kind of effort that goes into getting into the size zero range and then staying there takes a lot of efforts that takes toll on physical as well as mental health of girls.
6. Tit for tat: For long the fashion industry has banned women who are fat so why not ban skinny models for once.
7. It’s unhealthy: The medical examination of most size zero models reveals that they are malnourished. It is unhealthy and someone copying it would be playing it with their health too.
Possible group discussion topics on Zero:
1. Zero is greater than infinity.
2. Size zero models should not be considered ideal.
3. Size zero fad is a dangerous trend that youth are following.
4. Does zero influence amount to zero justice?
5. Zero-hour contracts are bad for workers.
6. Zero-tolerance should be adapted against communal hatred and hate speeches.
7. Zero-tolerance should be adapted against sexual harassment at work.
8. Zero-tolerance against discrimination.
9. The power of zero.
10. From zero to hero – never underestimate anyone.
11. Can zero carbon lifestyle be adapted?
12. Is zero an even or an odd number?
13. Mosques should not be allowed to be built on ground zero.
14. Is Horizon Zero Dawn the game of the year?
15. Zero-waste should be strictly followed during festivals and marriages.
Also Read:- How To Prepare For Group Discussion Tips
- What Group Discussion Skills Required
- How to Start a GD
- What Skills Are Judged In GD?
- How to Enter a GD in the Middle of the Discussion
- How to prepare for Group Discussion
- Read Daily Current Affairs