Do deadlines destroy creativity?
Creativity and flexibility often go hand in hand to generate innovation. But when we are bound by the time and get worried about deliverables, the whole idea of creativity can never be any mean feat. Today, deadlines are one of the most important elements of the corporate world and are of utmost importance. While it is true that not all jobs demand creativity, many jobs embrace some degree of creativity built into them. It is all about the way we balance time management to cater to all deadline-driven projects without destroying creativity in the process.
Do deadlines destroy creativity?
Throwing light to such a great topic, the Metamorphosis School of Entrepreneurship that imparts entrepreneurial skills to students through entrepreneurship courses came up with an exciting webisode session that falls under the umbrella of their iconic webisode series. The most exciting session featured leading industry stalwarts like Sri Charan Lakkaraju, Founder and CEO, Stumagz, Mr Anwar Shirpurwala, CEO, Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports, Dr A Kiranmayi, Chief Clinical Dietician, Apollo Cradle, and Mr Vansh Bura, Student Entrepreneur, Metamorphosis School of Entrepreneurship. The session discussed the perfect mixture of balance between creativity and strict deadlines.
- Deadlines will force us to focus on finishing the task at hand rather than coming up with creative ideas.
- Continuously chasing deadlines can make us emotionally exhausted. Hence there will be no motivation to be creative.
- Even if we get creative ideas, implementing them requires more time and analysis. With a short deadline, that will be difficult and hence people will go for routine and already worked out ideas.
- Everyone is different. Some people can be creative under pressure, and some people will bring innovative ideas, only if they are not under pressure. So, giving tight deadlines to those, who cannot cope up with pressure can destroy creativity.
- If there are no deadlines, people may keep postponing the task in search of a better creative idea.
- If we get used to being creative, we will be creative even if we have deadlines. Thinking and implementing creative ideas can become a habit.
- With no deadline, we’ll have plenty of time, so we may also think about why the idea won’t work, the possibility of failure. This can indeed kill creativity.
Deadline Vs Creativity
Every one of us is creative in some ways. The creative skills differ from person to person. There are both sides where creativity leads to lethargy and deadlines help to enhance creativity. One of the biggest failures of Entrepreneurs is not doing things on time. Despite bubbling with great ideas, many entrepreneurs have failed to implement those creative ideas on time. Consequently, other contenders succeeded by implementing ideas at the right time. So, the truth is that the present scenario demands us to be both creative enough to produce stellar deliverables and be adequately creative to manage the deadlines.
Deadlines are Unavoidable
Parents always feel that their children face constant pressure to finish every project on time, doubled by the expectations to perform exceedingly well. The outcome of the process of putting great effort brings out excellent results. It is noteworthy that procrastination occurs when there isn’t any deadline. Besides incorporating healthy habits into daily lives, discipline, systematicity, and time management must be the primary principles of student entrepreneurs. Experts from the Webisode session believe that when people are under pressure of flexible deadlines, they can produce stellar results. For instance, Metamorphosis School of Entrepreneurship has consistently imposed extremely flexible deadlines to the student entrepreneurs. It helps them to strikingly balance their creativity and deadline.
Also Read:- How To Prepare For Group Discussion Tips
- What Group Discussion Skills Required
- How to Start a GD
- What Skills Are Judged In GD?
- How to Enter a GD in the Middle of the Discussion
- How to prepare for Group Discussion
- Read Daily Current Affairs