HOPE WINS AND NOT CYNICISM
You never get to a better future without hope
Right from the beginning of our lives, we are taught to look at a glass with water and perceive it to be half full.
Hope wins and not cynicism
Advantages of Hope
Positive psychology research has found many advantages of adopting a viewpoint. Below are some of them:
- Experience less distress than pessimists when dealing with difficulties in their lives. For example, they suffer much less anxiety and depression.
- Adapt better to negative events (including coronary artery bypass surgery, breast cancer, abortion, bone marrow transplantation and AIDS).
- Conducive to problem-focused coping, humour, making plans, positive reframing (putting the situation in the best possible light) and, when the situation is uncontrollable, to accepting the situation’s reality. They are capable of learning lessons from negative situations. Thus have a coping advantage over pessimists.
- Perhaps surprisingly, People with hope don’t tend to use denial, whilst pessimists often attempt to distance themselves from the problem. They are not simply people who stick their heads in the sand and ignore threats to their well-being. For example, they attend to health warnings and usually discover potentially serious problems earlier rather than later.
- People with hope exert more continuous effort and tend not to give up, possibly assuming that the situation can be handled successfully in one way or another. Pessimists, on the other hand, are far more likely to anticipate disaster – and, as a result, are more likely to give up.
- People with hope report more health-promoting behaviours (like eating a healthy diet or having regular medical check-ups) and enjoy better physical health than pessimists.
- People with hope seem to be more productive in the workplace.
- It’s not hard to guess that being hopeful brings about many benefits. For example, we know that hope buffers against interfering, self-deprecatory thoughts and negative emotions, and is critical for psychological health. In the domain of physical health, we know that people who are hopeful focus more on the prevention of diseases (e.g. through exercising).
- Athletes with higher levels of hope are more successful in their performance. Furthermore, based on research with college students, it appears that hope bears a substantial relationship to academic achievement
Disadvantages of Hope
- Sometimes being full of Hope at wrong times is also hardly desirable if, for example, a pilot is deciding whether a plane should take off during an ice storm.
- In the case of serious traumatic events (e.g. death, fire, flood ) may not be well prepared and their beautiful, rosy world may be shattered into pieces.
Advantages of Cynicism
- Cynics are usually powerless and unsuccessful in real life, by pretty much as any measure(wealth, friendship, artistic fulfilment.)Cynics are basically the people who got their ass kicked in the game of life, and instead of getting better, they announced that the game was stupid and they didn’t want to play anyway.
- Cynics are never surprised by bad news.
- You won’t get hurt.
Disadvantages of Cynicism
- People don’t like you and won’t be nice or do you favour, you will probably die lonely.
- There is great insight in cynicism but it costs a lot of solitude and anxiety.
- You’re never happy
- There is no goodness in negative energy! Cynicism serves no good purpose.
We cannot run away from difficulties – we have to face them head-on; so, why not make the most of the difficulties by finding opportunities for growth? Once you start thinking in this direction, you will be one step closer to reaching your goals.
Coming to the argument, Hope versus cynicism, I would say, realism. To survive the big bad world, we need to see heavy rain as a potential flood and not look for a silver lining in the dark clouds. And when we waited too long for the rain to stop, we need to find a way to stay safe rather than find a way to blame each other.
Also Read:- How To Prepare For Group Discussion Tips